Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A new road

About six years ago, I came into contact with a Buddhist community based at a monastery called Santi, tucked away deep in the Southern Highlands of NSW. Its very existence seemed unlikely. For a while I had a quote from a Hobbit walking song on the whiteboard in my office in the Old Quad at the University of Sydney, reminding me of this other world:

"Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate
And though I oft have passed them by
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun."

      (J. R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings)

Recently I was invited to write a post for a blog called Awakening Buddhist Women. I decided to take the opportunity to reflect on my experiences at Santi and what they taught me about the challenges facing women in Theravada Buddhism. You can read the results here.



2 comments:

Peter said...

Hi Justine

Interesting but sad to read about how things have turned out at the Monastery in the end, but really interested to find out about the book. I'll have to look out for it !


Juzzeau said...

Hi Peter, lovely to hear from you! It's true that there have been disappointments at Santi, but I wouldn't say that it's "the end." Some of the nuns who have lived there in the past are coming back, along with new ones, so there is certainly an air of hopefulness at present. And yes, the book should be out soon, and definitely worth a look :)